Hall to Laptop
Opportunities, Challenges, and the
Continuing Evolution of Virtual Learning in Higher Education
Nicholas D. Young, Elizabeth Jean, Felix O. Quayson
learning has dramatically changed postsecondary education and it
promises more transitions in the future, many of which cannot even be
imagined at this juncture. To contextualize what has come before and
what is yet to come, the authors find the threads that extend from early
days to visions of the future for educational environments. By following
those threads, we are able to plan for the immediate future and the
The authors tell us their motivation for writing
this book comes from:
Being connected to the evolution of virtual learning puts us, as
educators, in a position to impact the future of education and the
learning needs of our students. This book can help you find you place in
- Our understanding that virtual learning is having a profound impact upon
higher education institutions and thus warrants a careful and ongoing
examination by all who have or wish to have a professional connection to a
college or university.
- Our knowledge that the growing population of virtual learners has differing
educational needs that necessitate changes to instructional practices.
- Our acknowledgment that e-learning best practices are distinct in important
ways from traditional classroom instructional approaches.
- Our awareness of the need for faculty selection and training processes to be
changed in substantive ways to capture the unique potency of the virtual sphere
as both a platform and a tool for teaching.
- Our desire to distill for chairs, administrators, and policymakers the
opportunities and potential barriers to adopting and expanding virtual learning
in their institutions.
- Our interest in capturing the current and evolving trends in virtual
teaching for those who are responsible for charting an existing or future course
for their programs, departments, or larger university.
About | Site Map | Recent Releases | Forthcoming
| Bookshelf | Conferences
Other Products | Ordering Information | Resources
| Get Published | Contact Us
| Product Highlights | New Books | Special Features
| Home |